Retire Rehire: Employment of a UI Retiree or Other State University Retirement System (SURS) Annuitant
March 2014 Update
Complying with the State of Illinois Return to Work law and campus guidelines, a Retiree Rehire procedure has been established for all University of Illinois retirees and all other State University Retirement System annuitants. Please refer to the Summary to confirm financial implications; ignorance of this law could result in a bill equal to a year’s annuity payments for an annuitant.
- 2013 'Return to Work' Summary (PDF)
- Illinois Pension Code (40 ILCS 5/) - Scroll down to Section 5/15-139.5\
- University of Illinois Board of Trustees Policy, July 25, 2013
- Guidlines for Re-Employment of a SURS Annuitant or UI Retiree (PDF)
- Retiree Rehire Form Instructions (PDF)
- Statement of SURS Annuity Status (PDF)
- SURS Covered Employers
- Fund Exemptions (PDF)
- Rehired Retiree Progress Reports (find report under UHR Reports>General Reports)
Once approvals have been obtained:
- Begin a HRFE Transaction:
- For an initial appointment following SURS retirement, or initial appointment at UI, or if the employee is currently in TERMINATED status, begin a NEW HIRE transaction in HRFE. Please note that a NEW I-9 (not a reverification) must be completed in Tracker, including both sections 1 and 2.
- If this is not the initial appointment AND employee's PERSON LEVEL employment status is ACTIVE, follow the Reappointment Process or Add a Job process.
- The HRFE Transaction must have attached:
- Retiree Rehire Approval
- Statement of SURS Annuity Status Form
Urbana campus units: For information or questions regarding re-employment of UI retirees or SURS Annuitants, please contact:
Senior Manager of Employment Services
Phone: (217) 333-2137